Some amazing footage of the storms that hit the UK recently!
During the latest storms a shipwreck was discovered in Mounts Bay opposite Sainsburys just before Long Rock. Easy and safe to view up close during low tide. Thought to be from the 1950s. Great to see this and especially exciting for children.
The next discovery was sunday lunch at Carbis Bay Hotel. Good Service, views over the bay and a glass of wine, good value at £14.95.
Many weeks out of peak season available at £250. Please email for further details.
- Marazion – Gently shelving sandy beach. Great place to watch kite surfers when its windy.
- Sennen Cove – Near Land’s End. Lifeguard monitored surf beach away from the town.
- Porthcurno – Stunning setting, undercurrent can be too strong for safe swimming. Below Minack Theatre. Ideal for coastal walking.
- Carbis Bay – Close to St Ives. Beautiful beach generally without the crowds of St Ives. Can alight from the train here. Train journey awesome.
- Praa Sands – Just along the coast to the east of Marazion. Sandy surfing beach.
- Porthmeor St Ives - Good surfing beach away from the town.
- Godrevy – Gwithian, Near Hayle. Large expanse of sandy beaches around St Ives Bay. Good cafe.
- Kynance Cove – near Helston. Stunning cove well worth the effort to get to. Not suitable for elderly or disabled people.
Places where we like to eat
- Italian Kitchen – 4 New Road Newlyn 01736 363446. Just at the bottom of the hill. Italian restuarant but operate a take away service as well.
- Meadery – The Coombe, Newlyn 01736 365375. At the bottom of the hill, turn left up the Coombe. Chicken in a basket type food. Great for children but be prepared to eat with your fingers!
- Tolcarne Inn – 01736 363074. Small gastro-pub in Newlyn. Walk towards the Co-op and with the Co-op behind you face across the road and walk over the bridge for about 50 yards. Recently taken over by Michelin starred chef Ben Tunnicliffe. Reports are good!
- Bakehouse - Chapel Street, Penzance 01736 331331. Good food, great hospitality and they operate an early bird menu Monday to Friday if ordered before 7 pm. Opens at 6.15 pm. Best to book. Our favourite.
- Taj Mahal – 63 Daniel Place, Penzance 01736 366630. Great Indian. Good idea to book. Operates take away service.
- The Sea Palace – Quay Street, Penzance, Past the Dolphin pub at Penzance Harbour. 01736 330997. Good Chinese eat in or take away.
- The Bay Restaurant and Hotel Penzance – Britons Hill, Penzance 01736 363117. This one is for special events . Worth it for the views across the bay – a comparison with Cooper’s Cottage!
- Navy Inn – Lower Queen Street, Penzance 01736 333232. Good seafood pub.
Chapel Street has a number of good restaurants and pubs.
The art deco Jubilee swimming pool can be found at the far end of the seafront promenade of Penzance. You can see it if you look from outside the front door of this Cottage. It is filled with salt water and available during the summer only. There is an indoor pool at the Penzance Leisure Centre at St Clare.
The renovation of Coopers Cottage Newlyn has been completed!